Let's create a Blue Zone together!
Good day Friends!
I was at a conference a few weeks ago and one of the presenters said it is our job to create a Blue Zone within the community of our office and the community we live. And I LOVE that idea! For those who do not know what a Blue Zone is, it is defined by author Dan Buettner in his book The Blue Zones; Lessons for living longer from the people who’ve live the longest as demographic regions of the world where people commonly live active lives past the age of 100 years. The areas are Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Nicoya Penisula, Costa Rica; Ikaria, Greece and the Seventh-Day Adventist colony in California.
This is where the Full Proof 5 comes in!
Eat Right. Drink Right. Move Right. Sleep Right. Think Right. (Poop Right and Talk Right apart of Magnificent 7).
I am a huge advocate of lifestyle medicine and strategies. To know our lives are not determined by our genes (not jeans). Our lifestyle plays a massive role on how are genes are expressed and that is called Epi-genetics. I repeat DO NOT feel your families health history is your destiny. Proper lifestyle strategies will help to control your stress and inflammation among other aspects.
The Full Proof 5 all play a vital role in living your healthiest life and living as long as you can and compliment what Dan found to be true with what he calls the Power 9 of the Blue Zones, which are basically the common principles between each Blue Zones.
The Power 9 consists of:
Purpose; or Ikigai in Japanese for life’s purpose
Wine at 5
Down Shift is your ability to finding ways to relieve your stress that works for you. Such as mediating, deep breathing, journaling about what you are grateful for, exercise or movement, belonging to a faith based community, and wine at 5 with your your tribe and/or family, getting good sleep, and connect with nature. This is where I see Think Right (and Talk Right) and Sleep Right particularly connecting to Down Shift.
Purpose or Ikigai. I know this can be abstract for some. Waking up each day and knowing how to contribute. I thought of this qutoe from Jim Rohn when thinking of purpose, “You will get all you want in life, if you help enough other people get what they want.” Here is the diagram to explain Ikigai.
3. Plant Slant is exactly what it sounds like, have your meals be plant centered and lighter on the meat. As you may have noticed I am not proponent on one particular diet but more so based on your goals and creating a personalized anti-inflammatory diet based on your needs. However, in the need of keeping it simple when in doubt Plant Slant your plate. And of course this goes right along with Eat Right!
4. Wine at 5. I mean who does love the idea of that! Your connecting your tribe and creating a belonging (who could be spiritual tribe, family tribe, workout tribe, etc), you are down shifting, and you could be (as long as it’s not overindulging) putting your family first. Wine at 5 sounds like a win to me, what do you think?
5. Family First. This may seem obvious but we may not always act like our families are priority. One of the best things you can do to put your family first is to be PRESENT. What do I mean by this you ask. Well when you are with your family be with and focused on them and when you are at work with work and focused on work. As an American society we tend to drag our work into other areas of our life. A second thing I recommend doing (which I am currently working on) is to be on time when you meeting them, going somewhere, coming home, etc. This spans through all areas of life but if you can’t be on time for your family your simply not putting them first. Another reason why I think putting family first apart the Power 9 is important because don’t you want your kids develop into positive influences of their communities? Your kids won’t know how to do that unless you show them. Children model behavior incredibly well so set the example that you want to see. I am certainly starting to see this now having a toddler/threenager.
6. 80% Rule to eat mindfully and stop when you are 80% full. This is a great reminder especially when over indulging. Of course this falls in line with Eat Right (as well as Think Right). When you are 80% your body has enough fuel and after that you are simply over indulging and are going to have to work extra hard to burn that off.
7. Move Naturally sounds a lot like Move Right. Move Naturally is all about finding ways to move more so that you’ll be burning more calorie without even thinking about it. It is important to find an form of extra you enjoy otherwise you will not stick with it.
8. Right Tribe is all about surrounding yourself with people who support positive behaviors. To come full circle with a Jim Rohn quote, “You are the sum of the 5 people you spend the most time with,” so who are you spending your days with?
9. Belong to a faith based community and attend services four times a month can add four to fourteen years to your life. I know I personally feel better about myself when I am attending church consistently, meeting with a lifegroup, and feel more connected and supported in life.
Let’s create a Blue Zone in our community together! Start implementing the Full Proof 5 and/or Power 9 into your daily life.